Welcome back in HK Baby!
– I’ve worked very hard on this film: he’s full sense of humor, he’s a funny guy.
He, Wong Kar Wai. this movie: “2046” (2004), before My Blueberry Nights (2007). And the shy young lady is Candy Law, a great fashion make-up artist and make-up consultant. She also works with the brillant filmmaker (I’ve been a big fan since my Movies studies at university) and his production company Jet Tone Films.
– Due to the pro-longed production schedule, the previous make-up artist had to go due to other commitment. Then the “2046”Art Director, William Cheung, gave me this great opportunity. The challenge: he asked me to make a basic look and it was a huge challenge, as you know the simpler the harder. Plus I worked alone with all the famous actors like Tony Leung, Chang Chen, Dong Jan and actresses like Gong Li, Faye Wong, Carina Lau. I wanted to cooperate and finished as scheduled.
– Working for cinema: you have to spend long hours on the job. Especially Wong wanted everything to be perfect, that was pressure on its own, and there is no tolerance for error on the sense. You have to be under control: it’s very grueling physically!
In the IFC’s Starbuck, finance people around us and Candy looks like a Tim Burton’s character, dark, a bit gothic and full of sense of humor and lovely contradictions:
– Why did I name my dog, Muffin? Cause I don’t like muffins. I love wicked idea. I can be very extreme in my make-up. Just like I love books, but I don’t read into them, I look at the pictures because I don’t want to get too involved.
At 24 years old, she goes to Sydney to meet her dad and study in a make-up school for movies and stage and ballet dancing. Two years later in 1999, she’s back in Hong Kong and starts to work for fashion editorials and ad campaigns:
– I have never thought about going outside of my country. I’m a very traditional Chinese woman: family is the most important thing. I know marriage is difficult. I always worried about the future.
– Alone without friend (a big laugh). No, I really enjoy going out with a few close friends (last for ever), staying at home with Muffin, my dog and my very wise 86 years old grandma. She calms me because she is the closest person to me at heart. I talk to people when I want to.
Thanks a lot Candy!
Bonus tracks: leaving Candy, I meet those two unbelievable “guys” made in Hong Kong and coming from the comics planet.
Related posts : INTERVIEWS